Monday, March 29, 2010

Not A Good Day

I'm still currently in a very weird and hard-to-explain mood after what has happened today. Which before I begin to write about it, I must share that I know it could be worse, however, it has still made for a low kind of day. Let me begin from last night.

So Dayna and I share a 1 bedroom apartment-our bedroom fits our two queen beds. Cheap rent and we're as close as sisters, what can I say? So anyway...we're on Spring Break, so we didn't go to bed until about 2 a.m. last night. Well, as soon as we turned off the lights-we heard a loud spraying kind of a noise. I said to Dayna, "Sprinklers? That's random." And she said something back and then I replied with "...or maybe a tire deflating?" <----Tire deflating was correct, had I only been 100% sure at that moment, we could have caught the morons! So anyway, I did look out the window and saw that our cars and the bush in front of our window was wet, so I assumed it was a random sprinkler going off, and just went to bed. (Note to self: From now on, whenever you hear noises at 2 a.m. that you aren't typically used to hearing, call the police.)

So, this morning, first official day of Spring Break, at like 9:30 I hear loud noises outside the window; someone is working on the truck that parks next to mine and Dayna's cars. I look out the window, slightly frustrated that this is ruining my sleeping in on a Monday morning, and see that there is a towing company working on this guy's truck. I think to myself, "Oh, that must have been that guy's tire last night." (Yeah Kaitlin, his...and yours...and Dayna's...and several others!)

Dayna and I had planned on going to Downtown Disney and some outlet malls today so we set our alarms so that we could get a decent start for the day. At about 11:15 we both get up and a few minutes later we hear a loud and firm knock on the door. We both look at each other with blank faces. Not many people come knocking on our door. We sit there quiet for a few seconds and I decide to very discreetly peer out the window. I can see the outline of a man standing between mine and Dayna's cars. I ran into the bedroom to look through that window so that I could get more of a look without being so obvious to the man standing outside. I see a police car. I come out of the room and tell Dayna, "It's the police." She puts her cereal bowl down and sits on the edge of the couch while I go to answer the door-in my pajamas still.

"Hi Ma'am. How many of these cars belong to you?" Before I answer, I look past the officer and see two flat tires, one on my car, and one on Dayna's...and the man's truck who parks beside us. "Two of them...the white and silver ones." Dayna and I put some flip-flops on and go outside. Sure enough...the noise we heard last night, that I even said sounded like a deflating tire, was the cause of this mess. Someone sure had some sick and selfish fun last night! The officer proceeds to tell us that about 10 cars in our apartment complex had their tires also slashed, including one car with all 4 tires slashed. Terrible. Absolutely terrible. Who does this kind of stuff?

My car


Dayna's car

The police officer was very nice and he took our information and we did tell him we heard the "sprinkler sound" at about 2 a.m. He told us that we had the most information so far compared to anyone else in the complex he'd already met with. Probably because we were up so late. And what I think is so interesting, is how soon it happened after we had turned off the lights. Something else I find interesting is that we've lived here since August '09 and have had no issues like this. We also have a police officer who lives 4 doors down from us, and his car is usually visible at the front of the complex. Well, he's either on vacation or has moved out because his police car, personal car and his boat aren't outside of his apartment. How interesting that this happened only a few days after the police car wasn't sitting in the front of the complex?

Dayna and I keep saying, "If only we would have called 911! If only! We could have caught them!" Unfortunately, we can't go back in time and do anything differently. But you can bet your bottom dollar if there are any "sprinklers" going off at random times from this point forward...the police will be called, car panic buttons will be pushed, lights will be flickered, blinds will be opened...all in attempt to get these childish people behind bars where they belong!

Our entire day was spent on the phone with insurance companies, waiting for towing companies to come change my tire (which I have a story about), and then going to four different tire places to find the cheapest tire. After four places, Dayna ended up with one at Sam's, but they didn't have the kind I needed in stock. I didn't care at the point anymore-I'll get the flippin' tire tomorrow. I was over it. What a waste of a day...especially on Spring Break! Ok, so about my story about the towing company who came to change my tire out. It was two guys who came, one in his late 30s and one in his 50s. The guy in his 50s didn't say much...but the guy in his 30s was all about flirting. He kept saying, "So what did you guys do to make these people mad?" We politely replied, "Nothing!!!" Inside we were thinking "We don't find this funny at all-please stop joking!" And then when they were finished, we offered them something to drink and as Dayna went inside to fix it, the guy in his 30s said, "So do you guys go to clubs?"
ATTENTION TOWING GUY: YOU ARE HERE TO FIX MY TIRE. THAT'S IT. I DID NOT CALL YOU FOR ANY OTHER KIND OF SERVICE. I DON'T CARE THAT YOU ONLY WORK THERE TO BE A "BOUNCER" OR WORK THE BAR. CLEARLY, THERE IS QUITE AN AGE DIFFERENCE ANYWAY AND I'M NOT INTERESTED!!! Thank you, and have a nice day! My insurance company will pay you!

I remain in a violated kind-of-mood. It's hard to describe, but it's just the way we're both feeling. Yes, it could have been much worse. We know that. Thankfully, it was only one tire. We weren't harmed. But, we have to pay the price for someone else's very inconsiderate and selfish act. I'm praying for safety tonight!

No comments: