Friday, March 5, 2010

A Day in the Life of a New Teacher!

This week at Kelly's Korner "Show Us Your Life" is What Is Your Typical Day Like? I thought it'd be fun to share the typical day of my new life as a teacher, finally in the "real world!"
Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner
P.S. The reason I say "new teacher" is because I recently took over my class at the beginning of January-I just graduated college in December.

I get up each morning by 6:30. 6:20 would be the best time, but I'm not good at waking up in the mornings. I love my sleep and I love to sleep in. (I get to do that tomorrow, yes!!) But anyway, I wake up and use the restroom and things and begin my make-up routine, get dressed, pack up my lunch and walk out the door by 7:10-7:15. I have to be at work by 8:00 and I usually get there between 7:40-7:50. (I have a 35 minute commute to and from work.)

Once I'm in my classroom, I turn on my computer and SMART board, check e-mails, and walk up to the front office to sign in and check my mailbox. Then I go back to my classroom to get things in place for the day. My students come in by 8:15 and they have their own morning procedures...whether or not they follow them is another story! Ha!

8:30-10:30 I teach reading. We practice reading skills, read poems to practice fluency, find context clues for vocabulary words, and work on comprehension of stories and passages. The second hour of reading is spent at stations/centers for the students while I work with reading groups in a smaller setting.

10-30-11:30 I teach math. We begin with a mini lesson which focuses on FCAT related test material and then I finish with our regular math lesson. I enjoy teaching math!

11-30:1:00 I teach science. We begin with a mini lesson and then usually go to the Science lab for regular science instruction.

1-1:30 Lunch. It always goes by so fast. I am so looking forward to having my Coke by this point. :)

1:30-2:20 Monday-Computer Lab; Tuesday-Library; Wednesday-Friday- Math review/Writing/Social Studies

2:20-3:10 My students are at their specials and this is my planning period. This 50 minutes always goes by so fast!

3:15 Dismissal. I pick up my students from specials at 3:10 and the bell rings at 3:15...those last 5 minutes are C-R-A-Z-Y! Especially on days when they're coming back from P.E., they're just wild!

3:15-3:45 My duty to remain on campus, but I usually stay until 5-6 most days because I'm a new teacher and I'm just learning how to get everything done to be as prepared as possible each day!

After I leave, I drive home and either Dayna, I, or both cook something for dinner, **warm something up for dinner** or put the responsibility on someone else and pick it up through a drive-thru, ha! Hey, we're single girls in our 20s, we're allowed to eat out...healthy or not!

Then I normally just chill out for a little while, check Facebook and e-mail and read blogs. It's such a release for me, seriously! Then I'll grade papers if I need to, look over lesson plans for the next day, and other things like that. Sometimes I'll clean up the kitchen or put clothes away, run to Walmart or the store if I need anything, etc. By 10:00 if not sooner, I'm headed for the shower and like to be in bed between 11-11:30. Between that time, I pick out my clothes for the next day, do my devotions and read my Bible, and get everything packed up ready for the morning. I still am running on college student sleep mentality, but it's slowly taking its toll since I have to get up so early every morning now!

Well, that's my ever-so-exciting new life in a nutshell! I can't complain though because I like consistency and I'm so thankful to have a job! I love being a teacher!

3 comments:

Lee Ann said...

I'm so glad you came by! I teach in Marshall, TX and I love teaching first grade! I did part of my student teaching in 5th grade reading and loved it too. I would like to move up to middle school eventually. Nice to meet you!

Michelle Allen said...

Hi, I found your blog on Kelly's Korner. I am also a teacher. I teach 4th grade and this is my sixth year. I know from experience that your first year can be hard, but hang in there it only gets easier and easier. Hope you have a great rest of the year!

The Common Fashionista said...

I really am enjoying reading your blog! I miss you so much- I am so happy you love teaching!