Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend in Sarasota

This past weekend, Dayna (my roommate/best friend) and I traveled to Sarasota for and stayed with my family (of course.) We're dying to move out of Lake Wales, and when we're not in Lake Wales we're in Lakeland...so we wanted to take a mini road trip! Plus my mom's 50th birthday party was being held that weekend and I had an extra day for the weekend since it was Memorial Day!

So anyway, Saturday I slept in, like really slept in. I'll keep the hour of my awakening a secret to save me from embarrassment. ;) (My mom made me feel less guilty about how late I slept in by telling me that I should sleep in while I'm still single and free of children! Ha!) When I finally got up, I showered, got ready and packed and we left.

I had been craving pizza from Dino's Pizza (a place unique to Sarasota-it's been around forever) so I treated my family! It was SO good and one of my favorite parts about Dino's is on their buffet, they have soft serve ice cream...of course I'm a sucker for that! Ha! The rest of Saturday night we just all chilled. It was relaxing!

Then on Sunday, I completely missed my alarm for church and was disappointed! I feel so bad when that happens. But after I got showered for the day, I treated my mom and Dayna (and me!) to pedicures for their birthdays. My mom's was yesterday and Dayna's is this Sunday. The leg massage felt so good-I really needed it! Then we went to the Dollar Tree for some things my mom needed to pick up. Afterwards, Dayna and I picked up Korinne and took her to Jersey Mike's for subs and then to get a haircut...a desperately needed haicut! A few weeks ago, Korinne's school visited Lake Wales near where I live for a field trip and I went to visit her and her hair was just...scraggly! Haha. She was so overdue for a haircut and her new "do" looks amazing! I styled it for her and everything for my mom's party that night. Here is her cut:


Saturday night, my mom and one of their family friend's shared a birthday party because they both had birthdays on the same day, one turning 40 and the other 50.


This is the cake I had made for them


Here is a picture of our family from that night


Monday, our brave plan was to go to Siesta Key...it was PACKED! Luckily, we found a parking spot within 10 minutes so that wasn't bad at all. We only stayed for an hour and a half but we swam and got some sun! It was fun and HOT!


You know my family and I are obsessed with Jack, the chihuahua! Here is a picture that will help you visualize the love for this dog! Haha!


Once we got back from the beach, I showered and started grading some papers and that was at like 5:00. We didn't leave Sarasota that night until 10:45 and it's a 2 hour drive back and I had work in the morning! But I was so relieved to have all my students' research books graded, very time consuming they were! It felt good to get out of Lake Wales for a weekend and celebrate my mom's birthday, get pedicures, take Korinne for a haircut, and go to the beach! Love weekends like that! :)

1 comment:

The Jennings said...

So glad you had a fun Memorial Day weekend! Yes, I am scared when my babies are out their skiing all by themselves! I have been on a lake all my life though, so it seems so natural at the same time. You grew up in such a beautiful city. Sometimes I wish I lived closer to the beach. It is such a treat!

Gretchan