Sunday, January 8, 2012

One Week In

One week in to the new year and I'm just now getting around to posting! Happy Belated New Year, y'all! Wasn't it just 2000, when everyone was freaking out over Y2K? Time flies....

In this post you'll see a quick re-cap of my wild and crazy low-key New Year's Eve, and some other random things.

Starting with New Year's, it was completely low-key. It was fun, but it was simple. I'm not a big crowd/party person so this was just my style. Audra, Dayna and I went to Abuelo's for dinner and then went back to Audra's place to hang out and play games while we waited for the ball to drop. We opened stockings (something we didn't get a chance to do while we were in NC).




I made this photo collage on my iPhone with an app called Diptic.

Later on in the evening, we made chips and dip and poured some champagne to toast with when the clock struck midnight!




We had fun playing games and talking while anticipating the ball drop! There's something exciting about the 1-minute countdown starting at 11:59! 2011 is now history! What a fun year it was with many memories made!

Monday I went back to work. Turns out that a lot of people had the day off! (I can't really complain though since I have summers off.) The week back was good- it's always exciting to see the kids again and hear about their winter break stories. My winter break itself was very relaxing and so I felt refreshed going back- ready to get on with the year and prepare for testing in the Spring! It's seriously hard to believe we're in the second half of this school year already.

I thought I'd share one of my Christmas gifts from my brother just because I love it and think it was so thoughtful of him! It's a personalized pen/pencil holder for my desk with a clock and my name engraved. It's something I'll keep forever, even when my name changes after getting married (someday!) Of course I need to put a picture of people I know in that spot! Haha.


Tomorrow marks my official 2 years as a teacher! I started teaching the second week in January 2010. It feels like it was just yesterday and I remember being SO excited! It's fun to look back now, over these past 2 years, and see the ways I've grown as a teacher and the ways in which I've made my classroom my own from the way it was when it first became "mine." Teaching sure isn't an easy job like some may think and I could name a hundred ways to drive that point home, but that's not important. Even through the trying days of students' testing my patience, the lack of some parental support, the government creating unrealistic expectations for students and teachers, and the not-so-stellar pay, it's worth it. The students are worth it!

Hope your second week into 2012 is wonderful!

No comments: