Saturday, January 14, 2012

County Fair

Today my cousin was showing and auctioning off his pig, Charlie, at the Manatee County Fair. He is a part of FFA at his middle school. My mom told me earlier in the week that she and my sister were going to go and I thought it'd be fun to go and experience a live animal auction too, since I'd never been to one. My best friend Dayna went with me. It was a cold and beautiful FL day!


We got in and found my Aunt Diane and other cousin and decided to first get some lunch. My cousin was #102 to auction and they were in the teens when we got there, so we had a while to walk around and snack on good ole' fair food.

I had a slice of pizza and my mom and Dayna had philly cheese steaks that were apparently pretty nasty! That just meant we had room in our tummies for more fair goodness in a little while...

We walked around the craft and art show and saw a man scultping a manatee with butter!


Mom and Aunt Diane eating Dum Dum's


All of the Elephant Ear trucks were screaming our names, so we endulged:

Doesn't it look so good? It was!

A sideways picture of the mess this elephant ear created...definitely worth it though!


Korinne, despite the super cold weather, enjoyed her favorite soft-serve ice cream in a cup.


Then it was time to watch Charlie the Pig be auctioned off! So proud of my cousin for his hard work in raising Charlie! He weighed 320 pounds!



It was a fun afternoon! One thing I just do not understand about these auctions-how do the people talk so fast? It's so hard to make out what they're even saying! I feel a bit more knowledgable in the whole live animal auction process. Publix Grocery Store was there buying pigs, haha. Tonight all of the pigs will be loaded into trucks to head to....the slaughterhouse. Sad!

No comments: