Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween Weekend

Oh how needed this weekend was. I never put on any make-up yesterday and didn't do anything else to my hair other than run a brush through it. It was one of those days. I needed a day to just do nothing. I slept in late. Only time I left my apartment was to pick up hamburger buns for dinner...and run thru the McD's drive-thru for a large coke.

Last weekend when the girls and I celebrated my birthday all day (that post will be coming soon!) one of the things we did was go to a Pumpkin Patch to pick out a pumpkin. I got a big pumpkin to carve, and then three little ones. The pumpkin I got to carve is probably the biggest pumpkin I've ever had!

This pumpkin was thick and required great effort to carve a face on! Dayna helped me carve. Here's proof of how thick it was:


The best part of carving a pumpkin- baking and eating the seeds!


The final product- nothing fancy! I'm all about generic happy-face pumpkins. Ha!


I love this festive door-hanging I got for a little over $3 last year on clearance!




That was my Saturday. It was lazy and relaxing, but I don't think I mentioned I also did a week's worth of Reading Lesson plans- so it wasn't completely lazy.

Today I went to church. I really like the new church I'm going to. I don't know many people yet- but I think it's a place where I can get connected and such. Sometimes I think the benefit of going to a church at first where you don't know anyone is that is pushes you to meet new people and get involved. It also is helping me focus on the reason I go to church in the first place; to grow closer to God and learn His ways so that I can be an example for others in my actions.

In the afternoon, Dayna, Jessica and I headed to Pioneer Days in Lake Wales. It's just a small fall festival with food, vendors, crafts, and rides for the kids. We didn't stay long at all- just long enough for me to spend $16 on dogwear for my family's two dogs that don't even live with me. My youngest sister just got a dog, so now there's two. If you know me well, you're probably wondering how I, of all people, would spend money on dog accessories. I have never been a dog person, but it's no lie that my family's dog, Jack, stole my heart.

Isn't he precious?

I bought Jack and Jilly little bandana things....candy cane matching ones for Christmas, and then a FL Gator one for Jack, and a Thanksgiving one for Jilly. I'm sure there will be a picture of them in the near future modeling their new dogwear. Ha! I'm ridiculous.

After Pioneer Days, we headed to one of the best restaurants ever- Manny's!! It was a great dinner of Manny's salad, warm rolls with cinnamon butter and a Manny's sirloin steak!

This weekend I discovered Picnik you may have noticed. It's a website that makes photo editing fun. It's my new favorite thing to do. I've seen it done on other blogs and I always wondered how they did it. Picnik is free and allows you to add text, borders, stickers, etc. to your pictures just to add some flare! I'll try not to go overboard with it! Ha!

So that was my Halloween weekend! A lowkey weekend is just what I needed after two previous non-stop, on-the-go weekends. Tomorrow is going to be treated as normal as possible at school. I will do some Halloween story read-alouds and will pass out a little Halloween treat to my students at the end of the day, but that's about it. Our fun was Friday. If I let tomorrow feel like Halloween all day, I will pay for it the rest of the week. Three weeks 'til Thanksgiving break!

Happy Halloween! :)

5 comments:

Ali said...

Came across your blog via SUYL - there's nothing better about carving pumpkins than having the seeds to eat after! Score on the door hanging as well, it's adorable!

Alison @ Welcome Sunshine Home said...

Hi! Stopping by from Kelly's Korner... Thanks for sharing the thickest pumpkin I've ever seen! I wish I had some toasted seeds to munch on. :)

The student note you shared at the end of your Wacky Wear Day post was simply adorable. So sweet!

Alison
http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

Savannah said...

Stopping by from Kellys Korner and enjoying your blog! Looks like you had fun with your pumpkin carving. :)

amanda said...

Aww Jackie boy, he is precious! So is Jilly omg!!!! She is the cutest little thing you will ever see prancy around!!! -Amanda

Laura said...

I'm catching up on Kelly's SUYL posts and found your blog. I'm from Florida too so we have something in common! :)