Thursday, October 6, 2011

6 places


So I haven't been very consistent with this "10 Day You Challenge" thingy I decided I would do. I'm pretty sure, though, that not many people are waiting with great anticipation on the edge of their seats waiting for me to finish. Haha.

Even still, I will finish this.

6 places

6. One of my favorite places in the entire world, is my great-grandma's sea wall in Stamford, CT. My mom's family is from Stamford, CT and my great-grandparents had a beautiful, old home on Long Island Sound. You literally walk through the backyard and the sea wall and ocean are right there. I have spent many summers with all my cousins (1st, 2nd and even 3rd cousins!) on this sea wall. Whether we were taking pictures by birth order, or throwing rocks as little kids into the ocean, or admiring the beauty as we got older, many special memories I have of this sea wall. My great-grandfather passed away in 1983 before I was born, and my great-grandma passed away 10 years ago this December. My great aunt lives in the house now and I was there this January.

The sea wall in the summertime with many, but not all, of the great-grandchildren! I'm 3rd oldest!

The house and sea wall in the wintertime.

5. Keystone, CO
This will forever be one of my favorite places!

I have always dreamed of going to Colorado. Knowing how much snow they get during most months of the year probably had something to do with my urge to visit. I was certainly not disappointed when I arrived and saw the big, beautiful mountains covered in snow. The atmosphere of a ski resort is just really fun!

4. My aunt's house in New Hampshire
Another great-aunt of mine and her husband live in Deerfield, NH. It's a small little mountain town outside of Manchester, NH. Her house is in such a peaceful place and on a quiet street, but it's not completely desolate. In her backyard there is a brook/stream/river that you can hear. It provides such tranquility! Here's me and my cousin (and godchild, too!) on the hammock enjoying the scenery! Well, I was enjoying the scenery. Chloe was enjoying rocking in the hammock. ;)

Taken in '09

{now to get a little less sentimental...}

3. Olive Garden
This has to be one of my favorite restaurants. I have always loved their Chicken Parmisan with NO marinara sauce and extra mozarella cheese. I also love their breadsticks (who doesn't?) and their alfredo dipping sauce is soooooo good! But just recently I started getting soup instead of salad, the Chicken Gnocci (spelling?) kind and it's also SO good! It's a tradition my friends and I have to go there every payday, which is once a month. Love that tradition!

2. Target
Target is just a good place! Good clothes and nice things for the home. Not cheap quality and not too expensive either. Sometimes when I just feel like browsing, Target satisfies that need. You can't go wrong with their Dollar Spot either!

{and back to sentimental...}

1. "Home"
In August of 2009, the definition of "home" changed for me. I began paying rent to an apartment complex, which meant that became my home. I no longer lived in a college dorm or my parents' house. My parents' house became just that...my parents' house. Then I graduated college and later moved to a new town into a new apartment complex. Over the past few years, the time spent at my parents' house has become less and less due to working full-time and living an hour away. However...when I am going to Sarasota (my hometown where my parents live) and if I ever speak of it in conversation, what almost always slips out is, "I'm going home this weekend." Although my physical home is here in Lakeland at my apartment that I love, the emotional meaning of "home" is where my roots are. Now that I've lived away from home for some time, I've really grown to appreciate the meaning of "home" and all the memories it holds! :)

No comments: