Sunday, September 4, 2011

I've Been

I've not been a consistent blogger lately.

But lately, I've been focused. I've been motivated. I've been inspired. I've been reminded.

Focused on what? Motivated for what? Inspired by what? Reminded about what?

My job. My calling. My purpose. My students.

{This post is a personal reflection to someday look back on...read for as long as you wish. :) I hope, though, that whatever becomes of this post can somehow inspire, motivate, or remind you of your own purpose and calling.}

This is my 2nd full year of teaching, in addition to the half semester I taught beginning January 2010. I still feel new and fresh, but at the same time, natural at this job called "teacher." It's what I've always wanted to be, even if I did change my major to business for one semester out of my infatuation with weddings desire to become a wedding planner. That was short-lived. (By the way, I'm still incredibly excited to plan my own wedding someday, just planning them for a living wasn't really God's plan. I'm glad it wasn't.)

Anyway. The last year and a half in which I've had my own classroom has been a year and a half of practice so-to-speak. I mean, teachers are always "practicing" I guess, but this school year, I feel like it's time to turn up the notch on what I'm personally capable of. Being the most effective teacher that I possibly can, to better benefit my students. Cliche? Totally. But this is what I mean.

No lag time in the classroom. Using every possible second. Rewarding students more for good choices, thus increasing their desire to perform well. Contacting parents immediately when there is a concern. Grading papers and returning them more quickly. Planning ahead for lessons. Going the extra mile to make sure my "high" kids were pushed, and not just my "low" ones. Having an organizational system for EVERYTHING. Being consistent and firm with consequences. Making sure I'm meeting with reading groups daily. Starting lessons and ending lessons on time, so that we can get to the next thing and not fall behind.

I could write a whole blog post alone, just to add on what I mentioned in the above paragraph. The list goes on and on of the things I could do to make myself the most effective teacher I can be. But being EFFECTIVE is what I most desire out of myself this year, and all of the years in the future. I have essentially promised 21 sets of parents that I am going to provide their child with a year's worth of education this year. And that's what I am determined to do.

We just finished our second week of school and I've not left before 6:00 p.m. one day in those two weeks. I enjoy it, though, if I'm being truly honest. It's relaxing to me, once the kids are gone and I'm alone in my room able to focus on what I need to get done. I can truly say I put my heart into it. I want my classroom to be a memorable place of learning for my students, long into their futures.

So, I've been busy lately. Preoccupied with preparing my classroom to be a place where effective teaching takes place. Busy implementing ideas I've researched or thought of on my own.

Busy loving my job and loving my new class.

No comments: