Monday, September 12, 2011

8 fears

I'm not in the mood to grade papers tonight, or be an over-achiever with school stuff. I tutored after school so I feel like I've gone my "extra mile" for today. ;)
I'm exhausted. But....blogging is my therapy/release/wind down moment of the day.



So, because I'm not in the mood to grade, I'm continuing on with the 10 Day "You" Challenge.

8 fears.

8. Roaches. I HATE THOSE NASTY CREATURES. 'Nuff said.

7. Break-ins/robberies. Since I was young, I can remember many a night that I wandered over to my mom and dad's bedroom with my sleeping bag in tow to sleep on their floor. I even had to have my bedroom switched with my younger sisters; my parents' attempt to calm my fears since I was "right next to their room." It really was an issue back then. As soon as I'd hear my dad turn off the living room fan or lights, I'd run out crying. Of course now I look back and think of how pathetic I was. It got better over time thankfully, but I think that came with age. I've slept at my apartment many nights without my roommate here and I'm fine. Thankfully, I've never had to experience living alone.

6. The economy as it relates to my retirement. Starting last month, teachers in the county I work in (and other counties in FL as well) took a 3% pay cut (in addition to our regular retirement) to put more toward retirement. Taking away from teachers, (who already make less than what we should for the hours put in), just isn't right.

5. The path education is heading, with testing being the main focus. Testing is a way to measure what a student has learned and what they are able to do at an independent level. One test, such as FCAT, is not the SOLE indicator of a student's capability. It's just not. Is testing important? Absolutely! Is it everything? Absolutely not. There's something fiercly wrong with the fact that teachers are losing their jobs over a test score, not their actual ability to teach. {I could go on...and on...and on...but I'll stop here.}

4. Not finding "the one" 'til really late in life. As I say this, though, I do believe I'm still young, only almost-25, and have time to make all those dreams come true. But, I think this is a fear many single girls have at least during some point in their life....me being one of them. I 100% believe God has a specific plan for my life (Jeremiah 29:11) and that he wants to grant me the desires of my heart(Psalm 37:4).

3. Infertility. I've always worried that I'll be that woman who struggles to get pregnant or carry full-term. Of course, me getting pregnant is a long way away, but it is one of my fears. I shouldn't worry about these things, though, because of Who my faith is in.

2. Losing my parents when they're still young. I feel like this fear is justifiable 1) because they're my parents and I love them so much and 2) because my mom lost her mom and dad when they were only 69. That's so young. I just want so badly for them to live well into their 90s and meet their grandchildren and great-grandchildren. :)

1. Hydroplaning. When the roads are really wet during or after its rained, I always get nervous that I'll hydroplane. It happened to my brother once (among many other crazy things that have happened to that kid) but that made it all the more scary for me.

These are my fears. It was probably my least favorite category of this 10 day "you" challenge, in case you were wondering. Ha! I don't like to speak (or type?) my fears (the deep ones) because I think it just gives the devil permission to do what he does best, but at the same time, facing your fears and being honest about them helps you better understand yourself, conquer the fears, and have a stronger faith.

1 comment:

amanda said...

Ugh I remember me being terrified of robbers at the same time you were...we scared eachother I think. Dan would sleep in my other twin bed and I's lay awake and hear something and go "DAN! did u hear that?" he would mumble NO and fall right back asleep. Didn't help that my dad worked nights back then and my mom was drunk/passed out and NOTHING could wake her up. I used to run in there and say MOM the house is on fire!!!! to get her to wake up and even that didn't work!
So glad I out-grew that!