Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Deeply Moved

I am deeply moved by an incident that took place recently in the town where I live.

Sunday night, a 25 year old police officer was shot in the neighborhood surrounding the school I work at. He underwent hours of surgery immediately after arriving at the hospital Sunday night, and today the police chief made the announcement that doctors believe the officer will not be able to recover from his injuries.

I do not know this police officer. Yet I am deeply moved. A man, exactly my age, has been severely wounded, and potentially, fatally-wounded just in doing his job.


I am utterly disappointed that a 19 year old kid is capable of such a crime. I should know better, because the world in which we live is an unsafe and cruel world. But it still shocks me nonetheless. I just don't get it. Plain and simple.

What's more, is the fact that this 19 year old has already been in trouble with the law. In the past year and a half, I can recount a few different stories of officers being shot just within the Tampa Bay area. The common thread here is that these criminals, capable of shooting police officers, have already been convicted of crimes, yet they're free on the streets committing more crimes, some of which are costing innocent lives. What sense does this make? What will it take for these criminals to get tougher sentences?

I usually don't post such a topic as this- but tonight I just feel led to pray for and honor this innocent police officer. He was simply doing his job to keep the community safe. I am brought to tears by this story, especially right before Christmas, and I just can't imagine the pain some are experiencing tonight due to this situation. Doctors have their wise knowledge on a patient's condition but GOD's ways are always greater. Whatever the outcome is of this officer's injury, I am confident he will be known as a hero in our community.

Tonight, I am reminded to be thankful for police officers who daily risk their lives for the betterment of their communities.

No comments: