Friday, April 8, 2011

Sick Again

Two posts back, I wrote about how sick I had been last week, including being out of work for 2.5 days. By last weekend, I was feeling better and ready for work this week and to attack it head-on with FCAT review for my students, as testing begins this coming week.

My body had different plans...for sickness again!

Wednesday afternoon while I was teaching Math, my voice and throat cracked a few times. I silently thought, "oh no..please don't be coming down with something else." That afternoon, I tutored some students and also stayed late because report cards were due. With each passing minute, I felt my throat getting more and more sore. I knew I had officially "caught" whatever this was. On my way home from work, I picked up a Frosty at Wendy's as that was all I could even think about putting down my sore throat. I went to bed hoping a good night's rest would help heal whatever had started.

Oh no. I got up that morning, got ready and dressed for work and headed there. I knew I wouldn't be staying long, just enough to get some plans in my place for whoever would be covering my class that day. That morning, I ran into my principal and right away, she kindly asked if I was okay. I think she could tell by looking at me that I was not. I immediately just broke down and said, "I can't be here today. I'm sick...AGAIN." I just felt so bad telling her I needed to leave, again, after being absent 2.5 days last week. She was very understanding and told me to go.

I headed straight to the walk-in clinic near my apartment. I tested negative for strept throat which is a good thing, but it means that I've got a viral sore throat which can't be treated since it's not bacteria. I won't be surprised if they call me back within 48 hours and tell me bacteria started growth considering I still feel awful. The doctor said she keeps strept cultures on watch for 48 hours because at the time I was tested, it could have been too soon to detect. We'll see.

I went to work today only for the fact that my classroom needed to be prepped for FCAT testing which takes place this coming week and next. All boards needed to be erased and cleared and desks in straight single rows, 3 feet apart. It hurt to talk because of how sore my throat is but I made it through the day. I've felt worse since I got home this afternoon. Ugh!

I am especially disappointed because tonight I was supposed to be part of the ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) walk in Orlando with my family and cousins who I haven't seen in a long time! It's been on my calendar since January and I hate that I had to miss it. But clearly, my immune system is down and I can't afford to push it. My grandma died from Lou Gehrig's disease 5 years ago. I miss her so much and will walk again in her honor next year!

I just can't believe how sick I've been these past 2 weeks! I'm typically someone who is always so healthy! I am doing everything I can to help myself get better. I need my mommy! :(

No comments: