Saturday, February 12, 2011

5 Things I Did or Said This Week in 5th Grade

1. "Mechanical pencils will be banned from our classroom if they're going to be played with. They're not a toy. Leave the lead inside of them and stop taking the eraser in and out."

2. Wrote 9 "gold tickets" for students who earned an A or B on their Elapsed Time Quiz! I was pleased that more students reached mastery than those that didn't. :)

3. Dealt with a student who passed out, just like that, in the middle of math. Buzzed the office 3 times to signal the emergency code, ran in the hall to find a teacher to help me monitor my class while I assisted the student and then evacuated my class outside. I was proud of my class for handling an emergency situation so well!

4. For the first time, wasn't able to hold in my laughter in the middle of teaching about something one of my students had done. His nametag was missing and I had asked him to look for it. Little did I know, 15 minutes later he was still looking for it, even though I had started our Science lesson. His desk was piled HIGH with papers, crumbled up and everywhere. While teaching, out of the corner of my eye, I saw him looking at other students smiling innocently about his mess, while holding the nametag he found in his hand. I started to say, "I'm not the least bit impressed with..." and then I broke. Laughing. Couldn't help it. He's one of my best behaved boys and is real sweet. He would never try and disrupt a lesson on purpose. So, we stopped, laughed for a few minutes, some students shared some folders to help his lack of organization and we moved on. These are the moments you do just have to laugh, and show the students that you, too, have a sense of humor and that life isn't always "business." :)

5. Read, repeated, read, repeated, and read, repeated again our class rule, "We listen when others are talking and wait for our turn to speak." That still hasn't clicked and it's February. Lovely.

It's a never a dull moment! Never!

No comments: