Thursday, August 5, 2010

Classroom, Whitney, and Apartment Stuff

11:00 a.m. was mine and Dayna's target goal to be at OJP (Oscar J. Pope-name of our school) today to really dig into getting our classrooms ready for the school year. I guess I've not mentioned it on here, but my best friend and roommate, Dayna, is now also my colleague! She was hired as a 2nd grade teacher in early July and I'm SO excited for her! My principal had met her at our end of the year staff party because Dayna came with me, and she asked Dayna point blank, "Are you interested in OJP if I have anything open up?" So, it was an exciting thought to think we would be working together after spending the last three years as close friends in college! I think we'll really be able to help each other a lot! There's also a lot of new teachers who are young like us, so we are really looking forward to meeting them in just a few days!

Anyway...we got to OJP a little before noon after grabbing lunch and worked until 5! The secretary gave us our keys today so we were able to stay as late as we wanted since we had our keys. I first helped Dayna in her classroom (it was the first chance she had to be in it) rearranging furniture, getting her desks arranged, moving books to make room for storage of supplies and unloading a lot of things she had bought. After a while, we headed over to my room to continue putting up bulletin boards we started last week and getting some of my furniture moved around. Maintaining a classroom is A LOT OF WORK!!! Then, in two weeks, add close to 20 students to the mix, and the challenge becomes greater, but much more rewarding! :) I'm soooo excited for this brand new year. My first full year. Starting in January was exciting for sure, but it was challenging to take over a class, nonetheless 5th graders, in the middle of the school year. I know good things happened with that particular group of students, but I have confidence this year will be even better because of what I'll be able to establish from the get-go. I seriously could not be more excited! We return to work officially next Tuesday so I'll start taking some pictures then. My classroom is already coming along the way I've envisioned. I have much more time to get it set up to fit me than I did in January. I'm loving it! It's colorful and inviting...I would like to think my college professors would be pleased with it if they happened to walk in. :)

After OJP, I had some returns to take back to Target and Kirkland's. Then, Dayna and I were headed to meet Whitney for dinner! We ate at Fred's-Dayna and I had never been there before.

It was good...minus the ice cream! Whitney and I had it, and we think it was made from sour milk. Not good. I was disappointed! It was good to catch up with Whitney and hear how things are going in her life, as well as give her her birthday present!

When I saw this in the store, it was such a Whitney gift! She loves black and white. I looked for a "B" because that will soon be the initial of her married last name, but they didn't have any. I couldn't pass it up, so I went with the "W."
Whitney was sweet and got a housewarming gift for Dayna and I and our new apartment, but it's in my car downstairs (it was raining when I got home) so I'll take a picture once I hang it up! It's a nice framed piece that will fit perfectly on one of our walls. It matches perfectly with the colors we've chosen for our decor! Thanks for thinking of us, Whit! We enjoyed meeting up with you for dinner and are looking forward to our shopping trip after our first paycheck of the school year! :)

While we were at Fred's, nearing the end of our dinner, this party of about 6 people sat across from us. Two of the people were an interesting pair. The woman was wearing like a white beach romper (inside of the restaurant) and was missing her two front teeth. The man talked SO LOUDLY the entire time. Maybe he had problems with his hearing or something because I don't think he recognized how loud he was. You know like when you've got headphones in and you talk louder than you realize because your hearing is affected by the headphones? That's what it was like...the entire time. Whitney, Dayna, and I struggled to carry on a conversation because it felt like he was talking over us, that's how loud he was! Never a dull moment in this world! :)

I figured I'd post some more pictures of new things I've added to our apartment over the last few days. It's so exciting that it's all coming together and looking the way we want it. The furniture will make it complete! (P.S. Can I just say how NICE it will be to register at stores when I get married so that I don't have to buy everything I need? Haha!)


My Aunt Cathy bought this cross for me as a housewarming gift. She brought it last Saturday when she was here for the cookout. It goes perfectly near our front door, right above our alarm! I prayed over it before I hung it, that God would keep us protected and that he would protect and bless our comings and goings, and everyone else who enters through our door!

The wall hanging we bought to go in between two windows in our solarium. It's a good complement to the one we bought for the living room above the couch which you'll see in the next picture! I didn't get too good of pictures though, sorry for the glare!

This hangs above our couch in the living room. I bought both pieces at Kirkland's...love that store!!! Sorry the picture has a glare!

Here's two of our three windows in the solarium. I got these curtains for $13 a panel from Lowe's. They're like a gold/muted yellow color (a few different color tones actually) and have a soft spiral design on them which match perfectly with the pillows coming with our couch! I got the wall hooks for them at Ross for $2.99 and they come 2 in a pack!

This is something Dayna actually found at Marshall's a few months ago when we were in Tampa. It was just something fun to add to our decor. It doesn't really sit in this spot, but I had to get it in a place where there wouldn't be another glare! Ha!

I told Whitney I would take a picture so that she could see the wall hanging she got me for my birthday in its spot in my bathroom! I think it goes perfectly here! I love it!

Here is one of my fun animal print finds! I got this hand towel and a matching bath towel, both on clearance at Bed Bath n Beyond when we first moved in. It perfectly ties in the brown to my bathroom, but the animal print gives it a fun touch! (I think, anyway!)

A new vacuum that actually WORKS! Truth be told, the other vacuum we had was a garage sale find and it should have never even been sold (or bought! stupid us!) at a garage sale. In our defense, when we bought the old vacuum a year ago, we were still poor college students living on student loans, and a vacuum that cost less than $10 fit in our budget. Ha! I got this one less than a week ago from Wal-Mart and it was more than $10 but still affordable and you know what? It actually works! It does what it's supposed to and I love that I have a vacuum that works now! Especially because our apartment is bigger now and there's a lot more carpet that needs a good clean every now and then! :)

Tomorrow is Friday...and then the weekend...and then Monday...and then Tuesday, I'm officially back at work. I'm SO ready!

No comments: