Sunday, July 24, 2011

My Visit to Alabama: Part 2

Wednesday, July 20th


Tressie suggested a place called Tip Top Grill for lunch on Wednesday, which sits at one of the highest peaks in Alabama. Of course I was all about it because I love mountain scenery! On our drive there, Tressie pointed out all of the houses that are literally built on cliffs. For example, you would see a house, a small backyard, and right behind the backyard, a straight-up cliff! It was crazy! Of course the homes were beautiful brick houses, but I'm not so sure I could live on a cliff!

We sat outside and enjoyed our lunch and the scenery that surrounded us. Lover's Leap is right next to the Tip Top Grill so we ventured around on the big mountainous rocks, a bit apprehensive of our vulnerability, knowing we were on a cliff! (If true hikers read this, they're going to think I'm ridiculous for calling it a cliff. But for this Florida girl, we were on a cliff.)
After lunch, we headed to a town called Hoover, to do some shopping. Now that I had my dress for the cruise, I needed shoes to match, right? Right! :) I found two pairs of shoes on clearance at DSW. I love finding good clearance deals! I also got to experience a Hobby Lobby for the first time! It's such a fun store!! Since I've been in the "blog world," I've seen a lot of people post about things they've bought for their home or materials for DIY projects all from Hobby Lobby and I've been disappointed we didn't have one here. Well, they broke ground for one not too long ago here in Lakeland so I'll be a regular customer shopping there soon! I can't wait for it to open now that I've been to one! I'm hoping it's open by Christmas-time! Can you imagine all the fun things I'd find?

Before heading back to Tressie's house, we stopped by a bakery to get a sweet treat. I had been having this craving for chocolate icing. So I bought a cupcake... and a brownie. I am SO one of those people whose eyes are almost always bigger than their stomach. Don't worry, I didn't eat them both at the same time. And by the time I went to eat the brownie, I could only handle half of it. Chocolate overload.

Tressie's husband, Jonathan, was out of town so Tressie led youth group that night and I went with her. It was neat to see their church and meet the people who they're experiencing life with right now. They were all real friendly! It must be that Southern Hospitality in their Alabama blood. :) Before we went to youth group, I spent time reminiscing through Tressie's scrapbooks of college and her wedding. Tressie and I were college roommates our freshman and sophomore years and I was in her wedding. So those scrapbooks held lots of fun memories, good laughs and great friends!

Thursday, July 21st
Tressie had some great suggestions for restaurants during my stay in Alabama! Thursday's suggestion was a place called Flip Burger in Birmingham which was convenient since I was flying out that afternoon to go home.

It's a very unique and modern place and one of their specialties are liquid nitrogen milkshakes! They come out smoking and it's just something different and fun to experience! We both had one. Tressie ordered a Krispy Kreme milkshake and the flavor I had was Nutella Chocolate and Roasted Marshmallow. Yum!
My small little burger with "smoked mayonaise"..whatever that is?

After lunch, I still had a few hours before I needed to be at the airport. So we went to The Vulcan in Birmingham.


We took the elevator about 130 feet up so that we could get a bird's eye view of Birmingham. It was beautiful!



When you walk out of the elevator, you're standing on a platform in which you can see the ground below! I was just a tad bit queasy!

The Vulcan is 56 feet tall, a HUGE iron structure, actually the largest cast iron structure in the world.

Here's my foot in comparison to Vulcan's gigantic foot!

I enjoyed my trip to the Vulcan and learned some new things about Alabama's history!


This concludes my trip to Alabama! The trip went very fast since I was only there for 3 nights, but I had so much fun! It was great spending time with a good friend who I don't see very often these days and catching up on our lives. It was fun to just talk, shop, sight-see, and hang out like old times! Thank you, Tressie, for your hopsitality at your lovely little home in Alabama! I definitely would like to visit again, but in either fall or winter!

No comments: