Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rock Springs

Audra, Dayna, and I went to Rock Springs today with Dayna's family. They've had this tradition for years, and Audra and I were glad to join in on the fun today! Rock Springs is located in Apopka, FL, about an hour and a half north of Lakeland.

Dayna's family had rented a pavillion which was good because when we showed up around 11:00, the park was already closed due to full occupancy. Luckily we had a parking permit for Dayna's car and we got in just fine since we were already accounted for.


Rock Springs is just a natural spring with clear water that is FREEZING cold! It has a sandy bottom and there is some natural wildlife such as fish and turtles living in the river. The picture (photo from Google) shows the "pool area" of the river where lots of people hang out at if they just want to swim. There's much more of the river that has a natural, gentle current which pushes you along, kind of like a lazy river.

Although holiday weekends such as the 4th of July attract a lot of people, it's not like a theme park where you have to wait in line for rides where there are masses of people all around. Before you get to the springs, there are several places along the road you can rent tubes for cheap. So you pick up a few and take them to the springs with you to use down the river.

This is how Dayna transports the tubes while driving...no need to tie them or anything. Haha!

The park has a concession stand, but you see many people with coolers and snacks. They've got charcoal grills so you can cook out which is what we did. We had a delicious, classic, summer lunch! Hamburgers and hot dogs with chips, potato salad and baked beans! One of the traditions Dayna's family has at Rock Springs is to bring an ice-cream maker and make homemmade ice-cream! Her grandma does a great job! Today's flavors were peach, strawberry and chocolate butterfinger. The chocolate butterfinger was SO good! I don't care for fruit so chocolate is what I had more than one serving of.

Audra and I

The three of us enjoying a beautiful day!


I didn't end up taking any of my own pictures of the river or park and I wished I would have for blogging purposes. Rock Springs is really a neat and unique place. There are built-in places to play Horseshoes, volleyball courts, open grass areas to play frisbee or to get your own game of your choice going. This was my 3rd time and it was SO much fun!

Getting ready to head home after a full, fun day outside!



Let me just say that today was SO needed for me. Seriously. I am not joking at all when I say that it has been overcast and gloomy in Lakeland since Friday of LAST week-7 days straight. It was getting really old. It wasn't even raining some days, but still was just straight-up cloudy and gloomy. I was soooo sick of it. Naturally, I was worried that today's weather might not be good either. Thankfully, the sun was out all day. The two times I sat in the tube down the river, I wasn't even really talking to Audra or Dayna. It wasn't because I didn't want to, but I was completely relaxed and just loving every minute of soaking up the sun. My body needed a good replenishing of Vitamin D. I know I'm going on and on and I'm about to end it, but I just wanted to say how good this day truly was! It felt amazing to be in the sun again! Thank you, God, for a beautiful day!

No comments: