Friday, July 1, 2011

One Year in Lakeland

One year ago yesterday (June 30th) I moved to Lakeland. So, today marks my first full year living in Lakeland and I wanted to post a brief reflection of my first year in a new city!

Here we are standing outside of our new front door one year ago.{It was moving day, please excuse my awful hair.}

Last year, this time, I was soooooo ready to get out of Lake Wales. It was fun when I was in college but it is such a small town. Walmart is the place to go when you're bored. There's something wrong with that, right? Since I've moved, they've opened a Kohl's (and a Dairy Queen I think) which is cool. But I was having to commute 35 minutes one way to go to work and it was adding miles on my leased car (at the time) and I was just ready to MOVE! I had been counting the days for awhile. I'm a lot happier here!

My first year in Lakeland has been so much fun to be completely honest! Upon moving here last summer, I have been so fortunate to make good friendships with teachers I met my first year at Oscar Pope, and then others friends they have introduced me to, who are also teachers. Once I moved here, it was so much easier and so natural to call each other up more often and do things together. These friendships have been a highlight this past year. I would feel rather lonely here if I didn't have these girls to do life with! Seriously such a huge blessing in my life.


I still love the apartment complex I live in. I feel very safe here and it truly feels like home to me. It's spacious and just what we need. The furniture that my roommate, Dayna and I bought at Rooms to Go was delivered in October this past year and it's nice to have furniture that we've paid for and we can enjoy. Our lease is up at the end of August and we will be renewing it for another year. This means no packing/no moving which I'm thrilled about! I've got some new projects I plan on working on and finishing before summer is over. I'm excited to get started!


I completed my first full year teaching during my first year as a Lakeland resident. It was a challenging year in many different ways, but I know it's made me a better, stronger teacher! I'm looking forward to another year (just not yet!) Ha! Here's my school yearbook mug shot for your viewing pleasure! Haha


Now, I need to go next week and finally get my address updated on my driver's license! It's only been a year. Don't tell anyone! Ha! It's hard to get to the DMV during the school year when I'm working, though, because of their hours. So, that is on my "to-do" list this summer.

It is strange sometimes when I stop and think in a quiet moment. When did I become 24, work in a full-time career, buy my own car, pay all of my own bills and live on my own completely independent? How did this happen?? When did this happen? I can close my eyes and quickly be back into those days leading up to college-knowing I would be "leaving the nest" soon to go away to college. Or I can quickly remember elementary school days of hearing my name called out in the neighborhood to come inside because it was time to eat dinner with my family. Then I snap back into reality and realize that this is the present. This is where I'm at. Almost 25 years old! On my own, in a different city than I grew up in, doing what I love and completely blessed!

I am so excited to find out what is in store for me in my second year living in Lakeland! God is SO good!

No comments: