Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mid-Week Randoms

I'm writing random today.

You may or may not know that I just got back from an incredible cruise in the Caribbean (just got back, as in 5 days ago) experiencing the Grand Cayman Islands and Cozumel. I plan on doing a completely separate post(s) to let you in on the fun I had, but that is going to have to wait. I'm just trying to get a lot done before going back to work next week, etc., and I just haven't found the time to devote to uploading and captioning all my pictures on here just yet. But I will. To keep you from thinking I'm that lazy, I can at least say that I've uploaded all of my cruise pictures on Facebook and have also made a real physical album (archaic these days, eh?) complete with captions and even some sticker decals. Being as wordy as I am, I want to be sure I caption each picture just right on here, complete with all the fun stories, etc. Here are some pictures for now:




I'll be back soon with a complete post of the cruise. It was too amazing of a trip to not get its own post. :)

So I picked up the book, A Stolen Life, by Jaycee Dugard yesterday while I was at Target.
I got home, had dinner, cleaned up a bit, watched TV, and didn't start the book 'til like 10:00. Well...I was up 'til 3:15 a.m. reading it, with just 2 chapters left to go when I finally went to bed. The book has 273 pages. I just couldn't put down the story of someone who lived in a sick and demented prison of hell basically, and lived to tell about it because she had the strength to survive it. Can you imagine??? The details Jaycee describes had my heart beating fast and heavy at some points. I am SO glad that the nasty man who was capable of such acts is behind bars where he belongs-forever. I'm sure Jaycee is too. I hope the best for her and her daughters in the future; they deserve literally anything they want in my opinion!!!

The power went out in the middle of the night last night around 4:30 a.m. I had only been asleep about an hour since I stayed up reading so late. I am one of those people that my fan is my "lull"-it's the soothing noise while I sleep. As SOON as I heard and felt it stop; I shot up out of my bed thinking someone turned it off or something. I got my phone and walked over to my roommate, Dayna's room and she was awakened already too by the dead silence that now filled the apartment. I got the electric company's phone number and reported the power outage. We looked out the window to see the whole apartment complex was dark so we knew it wasn't just us. Around 5:15, the power went back on and then shut off again. By 5:30 it was on again and hasn't been off again since, thankfully!

In addition to staying up way too late reading, being awakened by the power going off in the middle of the night, we also had been notified yesterday that today our apartment building was having its fire alarm tested and they'd be running the alarm and coming into each apartment for fire inspection.....beginning at 9 a.m. So of course I set my alarm to be up by 9 so that whenever the people came by, I was awake and ready. Needless to say, it was a night of little sleep and I'm tired.

I'm going back to work on Tuesday, the 9th. That is coming very quickly. I have had an amazing summer though, and don't have a reason at all to complain about returning to work. It's always refreshing to start a brand new school year. I've been to the teacher's store here twice this week already and my brain is going non-stop thinking of all the things I want to implement in my classroom this year. I'm ready to go back, just like I knew I would be!

Although I go back to work next week, summer isn't quite over yet! Tonight I went out to dinner with "the girls"- Dayna, Audra & Jessica and then we went to Michael's afterwards to shop for some classroom supplies. Friday, there's a group of 6 going to Sea World (we get in free with our teacher certificates)! Monday, my mom and sister and possibly my aunt and cousins also, are coming to help out in my classroom a little bit and then stay for an afternoon at the pool and then to grill out. Besides, I still have 2 weeks back at work before the students come back, so summer is still, most definitely, in session. :)

No comments: