Monday, August 8, 2011

A Good Day and Kitten Rescue

Today was a good day. Do you ever have days like that? Where you can say "it's just been a good day!" I love days like this. I think, especially as a Christian, that on days like these we just have to pause and be thankful to God for what He has given us and praise Him for what we have. Family, a job, friends, a place to live, food to eat, air conditioning during a hot summer....the list goes on!

Today I worked in my classroom. I worked before I have to report back to work officially tomorrow at 7:45 a.m. What made the day so good was my mom, sister, aunt, and cousins who came up to Lakeland from Sarasota to help me out. And then afterward, they came over for a steak dinner! Recently I had texted my mom and told her that I was in the mood for her homemade fettucini. So, that was one of the sides to our steak dinner.

My sister, Korinne, had never been to my school before, and neither had my Aunt Diane or cousins, Nicholas and Matthew. I was glad to show them where I spend my days teaching my little heart out! Haha. They were all such a HUGE help. I went down to the custodians' area and borrowed a dolly so that we could move some filing cabinets, etc. and my cousin Nicholas, who's in 8th grade, took over that dolly right away and was moving things like a strong grown man! He was SO helpful. I think know he had a blast using that dolly. But I can't blame him; my brother and I used to push each other around on those things!

My Aunt Diane helped organize one of my shelves of paper while my mom gave me some tips on management techniques, etc. from all her years of experience as a classroom teacher. Although I know I have a lot more to do before the students come back (which is thankfully still 2 weeks away) I do feel like I got so much accomplished today with the help of my family! THANK YOU!

Me with the helpful crew!
After we had went outside to empty the recycling bins and take a short break, as we were walking in, my sister was yelling, "Kaitlin, Kaitlin!! A kitten!" I turned and looked at the frantic look on her face (she's naturally dramatic, but I was still concerned) and started walking toward her. Sure enough, there was a tiny gray kitten stuck deep inside a cactus bush. Poor thing was probably hurting so bad! I ran to Dayna's classroom real quick because I knew she'd be eager to rescue an animal. She came out, but they had already retrieved the kitten. We were all so amazed that it was stuck inside of a cactus bush of all things. It was SO tiny. We looked around for other kittens or perhaps a momma cat but no sign of any.
We had a mission on our hands now, not just to get my classroom ready, but to find this tiny kitten a good home. The first best thing we could find was a copy paper box. This little kitten, although small, has a big meow! He/she meowed and whined constantly, but I certainly don't blame it. Poor thing!

My Aunt Diane had run to McDonald's to grab some lunch and picked up a kids' happy meal milk so we could give the kitten some milk. It didn't drink much but it was probably out of sorts.

We called it a day around 3:00 in the pouring rain and headed home, with the tiny kitten in tow. We were planning to call the SPCA when we got home to tell them we'd found a newborn kitten with no mother. They said they wouldn't take it if it were less than 2 pounds, which we don't think it was even a pound at all. If we brought it there, they said they'd euthanize it. That wasn't an option. This kitten was entirely too precious to just be euthanized.


Secretly, she wanted to keep it. :)

The kitten has such pretty blue eyes!

So immediately I posted a picture on facebook of the kitten explaining the situation and long story short, someone knew of an older couple wanting to get a kitten and said they'd let me know as soon as possible if they would agree to take it. Sure enough, about 2 hours later, the kitten was picked up and taken to a new home! We are all so glad to know this kitten has a good future ahead. :)

Well, that's that for the kitten rescue. Dinner was good! Steak, homemade fettucini, biscuits, brocolli that I didn't eat and caesar salad was on the menu! I so enjoyed having my family here today and for it to last most of the day! I'm hoping they all visit again soon, although I know it's about to get busy with school starting back. My birthday is in October, so that'll be a good excuse to get them back up here, right?! :)


Well, summer is officially over for me. This summer was so good! I will be at work at 7:45 a.m. tomorrow. That means it's time for bed! I hope you have one of those "it was just a good day!" kind-of-days very soon!

No comments: