Thursday, June 9, 2011

Last Day of School!

Today marks the last day of school for the 2010-2011 school year. This year has been a challenge and I'm relieved the year has come to an end and that new beginnings are right around the corner!

I didn't think I'd cry. It's hard for me to cry in front of a bunch of 5th graders. But when I saw some of my BOY students, the ones who act tough and are class clowns, begin to tear up...I began to as well. I know that in the neighborhood I teach in, summertime isn't all too exciting for our students. It's boring and unstructured. Some unfortunately don't get to go on vacations or take day trips to different places. A harsh reality is that many students will really just sit at home this summer with not much at all to do. I can't imagine. School is their safe place. It's their place of structure. Their teachers are sometimes the only ones that care. I worry for them.

So as it began to near 3:30, I started to see the tears from more and more students. It was harder than I thought. I hope they'll come back and visit. I hope they do great things in life! They are all truly capable.

I don't have any pictures to add to this post because of privacy rights of my students! So it's going to be a pictureless and short post. The title of the post should also explain why I haven't posted in a while. I'm thankful that the crazyness that May and June bring is going to calm down after tomorrow. My classroom is very close to being packed up and cleaned up. It seems as though I was just setting it up.

Well, I'll be back with pictures soon. Today is my friend Audra's birthday and so we went to The Melting Pot to celebrate her birthday and of course the last day of school! It was a great way to spend the evening!

School is OUT for the summer!!!

No comments: