Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful 2010

Thanksgiving is here again! I love this time of year! I've been thinking the past few days about how thankful I am for so many things, and that I wish I spent more time all year reflecting on God's blessings. I do, however, feel like I'm a grateful person and choose to see the positive over the negative, but I want to spread that attitude more!

This year, in 2010, I'm thankful for:

MY JOB

I'm closing in on my first full-year of teaching. In January, I'll have been a teacher for a whole year. Time flies! I'm thankful that right after graduation, I was hired in the field of my choice. I didn't have to wait through interview after interview, serve time at other jobs, or remain financially strapped. God provided. I went home after my last semester of college was complete, and enjoyed the holidays with my family knowing that I had a job secured. Over the past 11 months, I've learned a lot in my profession as a beginning teacher. I've learned more about children, who are my passion. But my days aren't filled with fun lessons and "fluff," much is demanded and required at the school I work at. I know it's all for the good of the students and their education, but it's no easy task day after day. I am remembering to be thankful even on the days where I'm bogged down and don't seem to get anywhere. I'm thankful for my job, for my colleagues, and most of all, the children I get to interact with on a daily basis. Thank you, God, for my job.

MY TEACHER FRIENDS
I'm blessed to know teachers where I work who are young and single like me and in their first years as a teacher. More than just knowing them, I'm blessed to call them friends. I love getting together with them outside of school and being able to talk teacher stuff and they know exactly where I'm coming from. I truly love that. Dayna (my best friend from college and roommate) was hired at the school I work at and it's been great having her support too! I think she appreciates having the support as well! :) I know these "teacher friends" will be friends of mine for many years to come...you know who you are!

MY FAMILY
Of course this goes without saying, but I love my family! I have an amazing mom who respects me as an adult who is also her daughter. I love that our relationship has grown more over the years, as I have grown up and moved out. We're still close and I love that! Ovet the last year, we've added another dynamic to our relationship in that we're both teachers. She's my #1 fan and support! My dad is also a strong support of me and I enjoy his humor more than anything! He's so funny! My siblings are each unique in their own way and each one brings a smile to my face! Now that I don't live at home with them anymore, I always look forward to seeing them and spending time together, especially the holidays! I'm SO fortunate to have such an awesome extended family, too. My aunts and uncles are so fun and I love all of my cousins as if they were siblings! My family is such a huge support system and I'm so thankful for each one!

MY FRIENDS
Friends from childhood/school, friends from college, friends from church and friends from work-I'm thankful for them all. Many of my friends I don't get to see often because our lives are busy, but I always enjoy catching up with them when we have the chance. I've always been a person who saw it more important to have a "few good friends" rather than "a thousand acquaintances." I see so much more value in that. I am offended when people only want to be your friend for a selfish reason that meets their needs and you can tell it's only skin deep. You can tell just by the way they talk to you, it's fake. Over the past few months, I've encountered some people like that and it's caused me to reflect on myself. It's a good reminder to only ever be real with people. I'm thankful for genuine friends!

MY HOME
I absolutely love the apartment I live in; my home. This is the second apartment I've lived in, but this is the first one I've lived in while earning a salary, so it's much nicer than the last, which was paid for in student loans. :) Thankfully, God protected me in the last apartment I lived in, in Lake Wales, but I feel 100x more safe where I live now. Because I live with a roommate, all bills are split in half which makes it affordable for both of us. We have worked hard to make the apartment feel like home to us, and I'm so thankful for all that God has provided. I couldn't mention being thankful for my home without mentioning my wonderful roommate, Dayna, who is also my closest friend! Because we're both single at this stage in our life, beginning teachers, and close friends, it just makes sense to cut the cost of living by being roommates. We don't ever have trouble agreeing on how the apartment should look or what we should buy for the apartment, everything just works out nicely. I enjoy having someone around to talk with all the time! I know there will come a day where we'll move on to get married and start a family, but I truly enjoy these days where we can enjoy the "single life" together! It is a season and I am content. :)

MY FAITH

Cliche or not, I wouldn't be who I am today without God in my life. In college, I was part of many experiences which enabled me to have a deeper relationship with God, not just knowing who He was, but rather having a relationship with Him and allowing Him to take control of my life. I'll forever be thankful for Warner University for lighting that flame. Sometimes, this stage of life can be awkward-to be unmarried when many your age are married, or even to just be single. Yet, I do have a sincere faith in God, who I trust with my life, to bring me to the point of dating, marriage, and children when He sees fit. I know there is reward in the "waiting" part of life. I'd rather be single than dating someone carelessly. Sometimes in worship at church, I am so overcome with thankfulness of the price Jesus paid on the cross for every wrong I've made, am making, and will make in the future. He cares that much! Oh, how thankful I am for His daily grace and love.

I know this post was long and wordy with no pictures, but what is most important to me is to be able to look back and remember what I was thankful for this year. This is a keepsake to reflect on God's many blessings. Everyone on this Earth, has something to be thankful for this year, and I guarantee that as soon as you stop to think, more than one thing will come into mind. Truth is-we are a blessed people, and we have one person to thank. His name is Jesus.

"Be joyful always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:16

No comments: