Monday, October 25, 2010

A Year Older

Last week, I went from 23 to 24, all in a day's time. I don't feel or look any different though, as to be expected! :)

I had a wonderful birthday, surrounded by genuine friends and my good family! The celebrations occurred Thursday on my actual birthday, then again on Saturday evening, and finally yesterday when we got together at my apartment, my family and I. It has been a fun few days!!

Let me start out with the first birthday surprise! It was 7:00 Thursday morning and I'm in my bathroom putting my make-up on. Then I hear a knock at the door. I think to myself, "Who is knocking on our door at 7 a.m.?" So I walk to the door, look through the peephole, and there stands my mom with balloons and flowers! I was so excited that I couldn't even cry! I had no idea she was coming! I said, "Are you coming to work with me?" I was so thrilled and touched that my mom had taken off a day of work to come spend the day with me on my birthday at my work. She was up before 5 a.m. so that she could leave her house by 6 and be here by 7! It truly meant so much to me! I will never forget that surprise as long as I live! (I forgot to take a picture with her, darnet!) That was the beginning of a wonderful birthday!

When I got to work, my friend Jessica had decorated my classroom door! How sweet and thoughtful! Here we are after school in front of my door!

The day went pretty well and my students behaved. (They did not behave most of the week, and it was REALLY stressful.) We celebrated in the afternoon with mini-cupcakes and did our afternoon reading outside. They loved it! Having my mom with me was such a help!!



This is my sign-language interpreter and me. She was so sweet and made me many individual bags of gummy bears (she knows I love them!) with all different teacher quotes. I will put pictures of my gifts on a different post!


The three amigos of "OJP!"


My mom and I!


Right after school, Dayna, Jessica, my mom and I headed to the nail salon to get pedicures. There were 2 twin girls there, the daughters of one of the nail technicians, who were also celebrating their birthday. They turned 6 and were such a source of entertainment throughout our entire pedicures! After pedicures, I said goodbye to my mom (so sad the surprise was over!) and Dayna and I headed to Macaroni Grill to eat dinner with Michelle whose birthday was also the 21st, the other Michelle, Jessica, Audra and Bethany. I love this group of girls! We had so much fun and the dinner tasted SO good!

Birthday Twins! We are both 24 and we figured out via our moms that Michelle is about 2 hours older than me! Ha! (Please excuse my hair in these pictures, it is in desperate need of a trim, I know!)


Such great girls!


The whole group at dinner...


Bethany!


After dinner, our plan was to go to Picasso's Cup which is a place where you can paint pottery pieces. I was so looking forward to it but by the time we got there after dinner, we didn't have enough time to start painting before the place closed. I was disappointed, but I was also really tired so I didn't mind going home to relax. We ended up going back to Picasso's Cup Saturday night and spent several hours there and I'll post that separately soon!

I had such a good, fun birthday! I'm starting to feel old...but I for sure don't look it! The guy at the nail salon, when my mom told him it was my birthday, said in all seriousness, "16? 17?" My mom replied, "She's 24." Ahhh, really?!

I can't forget to mention my gift from Dayna! She got me tickets to see Manheim Steamroller at the Lakeland Center in a few weeks to hear their Christmas music. I CAN'T WAIT! I love their music so I'm really looking forward to seeing them in concert! I will be posting a post with pictures of the other great things I got for my birthday as well as our experience at Picasso's Cup!

Thank you, God, for another year of life! I'm looking forward to what you have in store for me in this coming year!

No comments: