Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering 9/11

Anyone old enough to comprehend such a catastrophe remembers where they were on September 11th, 2001 when they first heard the news that the World Trade Centers had been struck by two planes.

I was in 9th grade and was switching from my first period class to my second period class, and someone I was walking with or near, mentioned that the World Trade Centers had been hit by a plane. A few moments later, I was now sitting inside of my Physical Science class and our teacher, Ms. Erb, turned on the TV. And that's when I first caught a glimpse of such horror.

I was 14 years old at the time of the attacks and prior to, I had no knowledge of what the World Trade Centers were or what they even looked like. Growing up in Florida, and having never been to NYC, I had no background knowledge of them. I remember sitting in that science class and our teacher's face was just motionless. As we watched on TV, I wasn't able to fully comprehend the impact of the event because before then, I didn't know the World Trade Centers existed. I'm not quite sure if at the time of the class, both buildings had already been hit, or if it was just the one. However, after the second building was struck, it was clear that whatever this was, it had been planned. The rest of the day, I remember most teachers allowed us to watch it on the News, or just sit and take it all in.

That afternoon, I came home and my dad was out of work at the time, so he was home. I remember him and I just watching the reports of the attacks on the News and he was able to explain to me a little bit more about what the World Trade Centers were. I was just astonished. I began to connect that two massive-size buildings, based in New York City, both bearing a name with the word "World", had been severely attacked. This wasn't a plane "crash" or an accident. It was undoubtedly a terrorist attack.

I remember watching the people and the chaos in NYC, unable to imagine what they were going through. I remember seeing people running for their lives, literally.

I remember hearing people in the city say, "I'm waiting to hear from my husband-wife-daughter-son-aunt-uncle-cousin-friend to see if they're alive." Heart wrenching. I remember seeing smoke and debris, random papers and things flying loose from the buildings. I remember seeing people covered in smoke, that's how heavy it was. I remember seeing so many selfless men and women doing everything in their power to help and find those who were still alive, waiting to be rescued.

I remember watching those buildings fall completely to what is now known as "Ground Zero." What a final statement that just leaves you speechless.

Ironically, President Bush was in Sarasota (my hometown) the morning of 9/11 visiting an elementary school. He cut his trip even shorter, and quickly boarded Air Force One to address this horrific terrorist attack on our nation.


I cannot imagine the women who kissed their husbands goodbye that morning, not knowing they would never see them again after that. I cannot imagine the women who were pregnant and never got to experience the birth and life of that child with their husband. I cannot imagine the husbands who are continuing to live their lives and raise a family without their wife. I cannot imagine children who went to school that morning only to find out a few hours later that their mom or dad or both were trapped inside of a burning building, and might not make it out alive. The list goes on of all the feelings that I can't imagine, yet those feelings I can't imagine are so real to others who lost loved ones that day.

Not only people who worked in the World Trade Centers were victims that day, but also the hundreds of men and women who so selflessly offered their lives in an attempt to help rescue others. How amazing. I know as soon as they entered the gates of Heaven, Jesus greeted them saying, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."
"No greater love is there than this, than to lay down one's life, for a friend." John 15:13.

It is hard to believe that today marks 9 years of this catastrophe. Tonight, as I've typed this post, I've been watching "102 Minutes That Changed America." As I watch, I remember vividly those images as when I first saw them. It gets me teary-eyed every time watching the people wandering the city after they heard the news, just waiting anxiously to see what would happen next and to know if their loved one was safe. It doesn't seem real that people could plan such an event and go through with it, taking the innocent lives of thousands.

In 2007, I was in NYC with some college friends and we walked to Ground Zero and were able to see some of what they had started as a memorial. We were there on a rainy night, so I didn't get a true experience. I plan to go back again so that I can truly spend time visiting the memorial. I know it will be a moving experience.

This day shall forever serve as a reminder to cherish the ones we love and to always show appreciation and gratitude to the men and women who risk their lives daily to fight for our freedom.

No comments: