Monday, May 2, 2011

Proud To Be An American

The song, "Proud To Be An American," plays frequently on the morning news show at my school. Students regularly stand to a patriotic song following the Pledge of Allegiance. This morning, as I was putting in my attendance, I heard it play. A quick surge of emotion hit me, with the new knowledge that Usama Bin Laden is officially not living anymore, all thanks to the amazing, heroic, and selfless men and women serving our country.

America's mission, although near a decade later, is complete. Bin Laden is no longer able to plan and implement his evil, wicked, horrific acts. He is facing The One we will all face when we leave this Earth. I am not naive in thinking our mission is finished, as I know our alert is high considering the potential revenge Bin Laden's people may be seeking. I am truly praying that there will be an overwhelming desire for peace among these distraught nations. Haven't these years at war been enough? Haven't enough lives been lost?

I know that may seem like an unrealistic desire and/or prayer, but it is time to withdraw our troops, bring back daddies and mommies to their children, husbands and wives back to their spouses, sons and daughters back to their parents. Our nation has been forever changed by the terrorist attack that occured on September 11, 2001. I trust that our President knows that the way we must secure and protect our nation is much different now than it was ten years ago.

I am no political and war expert. I know we can't just capture our guy and then dismiss our troops from the war they've been fighting since the 9/11 attacks. I know it is a process that will take time and solid decisions. I hope, though, that the United States' recent victory is a powerful enough message that we are a united nation that will not tolerate terrorist attacks. No matter how long the war- our troops WILL not waver from what they've set out to do.

I feel like I'm rambling, but today, I'm thankful. I'm thankful to live in a free country where I'm protected by those who selflessly give their lives. I remember where I was when I first heard of the 9/11 attacks, and I'm thrilled to say I remember where I was and what I was doing when I read the first headline, "Bin Laden is dead." I am PROUD to be an American!

No comments: