Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's 2010...and the last few days

Today marks the third day of the new year. Hard to believe it's already 2010! It seems like just recently we were celebrating the year 2000, and there was so much hype about Y2-K and the world ending...and here we are, 10 years later- just proof that only God knows the details of the world's end! My best friend Dayna and I had plans to spend New Year's together...not sure what all that meant, but we were going to find something to do. We had planned on coming back to Lake Wales that night, but decided it was best to just stay in Sarasota at my parent's house because of the potential dangerous drivers on the road. So, we tried early in the evening to go to downtown Sarasota and walk around. They have a pineapple drop down there (I don't really know the reason as to why it's a pineapple) and lots of food vendors, etc. I went there last year with some friends and it was fun; just a lot of drunks which I have a very low tolerance for! But this year we had trouble finding a place to park and decided to go to Chili's. Then, we just headed back to my house and hung out while we waited for the ball to drop in NYC. My parents had a party at their house, so it was relatively loud until the wee hours of the morning.

When my grandma was alive, she, my cousin, Katrina and I had our own little tradition. Each year, we would write down predictions for the coming year. Like "so-and-so is going to get pregnant" or "so-and-so is going to get engaged" or "so-and-so will stop smoking"...wishes and hopes! :) We would write all sorts of predictions for what we thought might happen in the next year and then seal them in an envelope. My grandma would rubber band them together and put them away in a safe place. Then, right before New Year's, we would open them up and read through our predictions and find the ones that had come true. It was always so much fun! And then, we would repeat the tradition each year. This is the 4th year we have not carried out that tradition because my grandma has been in heaven for 4 years (almost-January 23). I hope to bring that tradition back in the future.

Last Wednesday, Dayna and I attended my sister Keleigh's circus show. It was awesome as usual! I tried to take some pictures during the show, but the lighting was never good enough. The Sarasota Sailor Circus is a Sarasota tradition. It's what makes Sarasota unique. This isn't a circus with lions, tigers, and elephants. It's a circus with acrobats ranging in ages from 8-18. There are some very talented young people who make the show so amazing! My sister is now 16, and has been part of the Sailor Circus since she was in 3rd grade. She does tumbling, hand-balancing, and the flying trapeze. Those were her acts for this past show, but she is able to perform in many other acts as well. She really does an amazing job and carries herself so well! I used to go to the Sailor Circus as a little girl. Friends of my parents would take me and my brother and we would just sit and watch in amazement, while eating our cotton candy. The flying trapeze was always so mesmerizing to me. And now, my very own sister is 1 of 3 "flyers!" You can visit their website here. The homepage shows a picture of two girls hand balancing, my sister is on top. Way to go, Keleigh! You have worked so hard to be the performer that you are!

Dayna and I with Keleigh after her show. All of the performers stand on the perimeter of the arena to greet their audience at the completion of the show!


Dayna and my sister Korinne. Korinne volunteers in the concession stand!

Well, the holiday season is officially over. It came and left quickly! Dayna and I got back to our apartment Friday night and just hung out. Yesterday, we took down Christmas. We were able to fit the Christmas decorations into two boxes...one being almost all ornaments! The apartment looks somewhat bare now without the Christmas tree. I'm already looking forward to next year's Christmas! I just LOVE that holiday! I found out yesterday after calling my principal that I have to be at work tomorrow. It's a teacher work day. I'm hoping that the day won't be spent in too many meetings so that I can get some organizing done in my classroom. These next few weeks will be challenging, overwhelming, and busy...but all in a good way! I'm looking forward to it. College classes are over and now it's time to begin what I set out to do four and a half years ago. I cannot believe I'm starting my REAL job tomorrow! This job is such a blessing, and I cannot say that enough! Thank you, God, for your goodness to me!

No comments: