Friday, January 22, 2010

It's been awhile...so this is a long post!

When I started this blog about a month ago, I had intended to post everyday. Little did I know that when I began working full-time and pulling long evenings after my students went home, posting everyday would become more difficult. So, it's been a while...but I'll just catch up on the last two weeks-interesting and busy they have been!


My first day of school...this time as a teacher! :)

Last Tuesday, I officially began my job at Oscar J. Pope Elementary. There was a substitute in there Tuesday and Wednesday though, so that I could be in and out getting things together for my classroom. I am SO thankful there was a sub so that I could get things cleaned out from the previous teacher and organize everything. Two weeks later...I'm still trying to do those same things, in addition to teaching, grading papers, attending meetings, and working on my word wall and bulletin boards. I am quickly learning firsthand that the demands of a teacher are MANY! Growing up with a mom as a teacher, I knew this already...but now, I REALLY know what it means! I wouldn't trade it though-I'm so thankful to have a job! Anyway, so that Tuesday and Wednesday of last week, I worked hard to get my room together. Then Thursday, I was "on my own." I have to be at work by 8:00 a.m., which isn't bad at all considering I have a 30 minute commute. The first bell rings by 8:15 and Reading begins at 8:30. So I barely have any time in the morning with the students before I start teaching. It's so crazy and busy! But those first two days I was by myself, I had permission from my administrators to spend the reading block explaining rules and procedures to my students. I needed that time. More importantly, the students needed that time. They have been used to a very unstructured, do-whatever-you-want type of classroom environment and those are so opposite my ways, so it's been a slow transition for them, but they are making improvements! I have not yet taken pictures of my classroom because it is not up to my standards yet for photo taking. Haha! No but seriously. I'll take some soon though. Parent night is a week from Monday, so the room HAS to be up to par by then...which means pictures are coming soon! :)

Last weekend was my graduation ceremony. I've had my degree since the middle of December, but my university holds their winter commencement in January for some reason. Friday night we all went to Manny's in Lake Wales for dinner. It's one of my favorite places and I thought it'd be a fun place to take the whole family to! My dad is obsessed with prime rib and he absolutely loved Manny's prime rib! It was a great dinner. I think we had a party of 14. It was fun!
All of us eating away...

Me and Dayna

Chelsey (my brother's girlfriend,) Keleigh, and Chloe

Carson and my brother who is doing something weird with his eyes in this pic!


After we ate at Manny's, Dayna and I went to the hotel where all of my family was staying to hang out and play Apples to Apples-such a fun game with a big group of people!
On our way to Manny's-Chloe and Jack rode with us


All of the girls


My dad and sister, Keleigh

Me and Dayna

We had a lot of fun playing Apples to Apples at the hotel, but I was so exhausted by the end of the night, and had to be at Warner for graduation by 8:30 so I needed to get some sleep. Jack, my family's dog, was staying at my apartment (the hotel was not pet-friendly) and he cried most of the night. It was so annoying. I felt bad for him because I knew he didn't know where he was, but the last thing I wanted to hear was a dog whining the whole night. I was glad he was only staying one night! (Sorry, Jack!)
Dayna had been feeling sick, so she passed out on the couch..and Jack found a comfy place to sleep, too. Ha!

Although he whined the whole night, I still think he's the cutest dog ever! I mean-just look at him!


I am going to do another post about graduation itself or else this post would be REALLY long, and it already seems pretty long as it is! Check out the many pictures of graduation on the next post!

No comments: