Friday, January 29, 2010

"I said....."

"...follow directions the first time they're given!"

"...this is independent work, which means quiet!"

"...spit out your gum, just like I told you to do yesterday."

"...make sure you use the restroom before you come to class!"

"...no talking in line!"

The above "I said" statements have been repeated over and over and over....and over again so many times this past week. I feel like my repeat button has been pushed and no one has ever turned it off, yet. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that with the coming days, my students will just know inherently to 1. follow directions, 2. work quietly, 3. leave their gum at home, 4. use the restroom before class and 5. stay quiet in line. But, it only sounds that easy.

In two and a half weeks, my students are showing much improvement in their behavior. I still have a huge task in teaching them the curriculum material, but my first goal was to work on better behavior choices so that my students would reach a point where they could learn, the way they are supposed to. We're getting there. Slowly...but surely! They are making me so proud! My students received several compliments this week from other teachers on how nicely they were walking in line and also how their posture in class reflected focused learning! When my students received these compliments, some of their faces lit up as if they were thinking, "She just said that about MY class?" or "The lunch lady likes how we all come in the line in alphabetical order and we're quiet?" I have praised and praised and praised them so that they are aware that other people are noticing their improvements! I can set rules, but it's up to my students to choose to follow them, and for that-I'm pleased! :)

This coming Monday is my first parent night. I'm excited. This will be a great way for me to meet some of my students' parents and families considering I'm a brand new teacher. I'll be briefly discussing our classroom procedures and expectations as well as how parents can help their child prepare for the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test.) I'm so quickly finding out all of the many responsibilities that go along with being a teacher.

Well, I suppose that's all for now! One day, I hope to write a post all about how well my students listened and followed all directions, all day long. ...One day! :)

No comments: