Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine Glow Sticks

Happy Valentine's Day!

One of the fun parts of being a teacher is getting to re-live childhood grade-school memories with your own class....like Valentine's Day, for example.

I remember setting up shop in my bedroom with the list of my classmates' names, colorful pens, valentine cards and of course the coordinating stickers that sealed the card closed. It should be noted that all of my Valentine's-card-making happened on one of those prop-up dinner trays. I would go pull it out of the garage and carry it into my bedroom for this event.

Then of course on Valentine's Day, there was a little class party to look forward to, cards to exchange and see which boy gave you which card with that "special" saying.

{please reassure me and tell me you can relate? Or was that just me?}

And you can't forget the candy. The best part!

Anyway...as a teacher now, I get to re-live the fun through my students. We aren't allowed to do parties in our district except twice a year, and Valentine's isn't one of those times, so we simply just exchanged cards and did a math activity with candy hearts.

Last weekend, I browsed Pinterest and found some cute ideas for student valentines. I decided to go with the glow stick idea. Take a look at how they came out...








It was a simple project that took about an hour, start to finish. It's affordable, too! I spent a total of $5 and it all was purchased at the Dollar Tree. I have 18 students so I bought 4 packs of glow sticks, with 5 in each package.

I used a pair of scissors, a pen to trace the heart, and a sharpie to write with on the foam.




Once I traced and cut a heart that I was satisfied with (I'm quite the perfectionist) I used it to trace and cut the rest. Ta-da!


It was fun and simple to make these Valentines, and it's something different than the normal store-bought card. I posted a picture on Instagram and for the caption I wrote, "Glow stick valentines- a teacher's way to avoid a mass sugar high." Haha!

Hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: